Ways That A Former Spouse Can Receive Alimony Payments

On Behalf of | Feb 12, 2021 | Divorce |

Alimony in Jefferson County, TX, can be part of a separating couple’s divorce settlement. The courts may order one spouse (the debtor) to pay their former spouse. What if the debtor refuses to pay? The courts have several methods to ensure the involved parties comply.

Contempt of Court

A spouse who refuses or fails to pay alimony can be held in contempt of court. As a result, the judge will order the debtor to pay the money owed—and they may even impose additional fines for their refusal to pay. If the spouse continues to refuse to pay, they may be charged even stiffer fines or even get put in jail.

Writ of Execution

The court orders an officer to seize property from the debtor in order to meet alimony payments. A writ of execution for alimony can include seizing portions of the debtor’s bank account, property, or assets. Whatever items are seized is then given to the other spouse as part of child custody payments.

Income Withholding

Income withholding is a court order that requires a debtor’s employer to take a portion of their income and give it to the other spouse directly. This method stands out, since it does not require the debtor or spouse to interact with one another.

When working through divorce procedures, it may be necessary to work with an alimony lawyer to ensure your situation reaches the best possible outcome. Consider your options carefully when consulting your concerns with a lawyer.